What is Self-Love?
Self-love is the practice of caring for your own wellbeing and happiness. To get a sense of what it feels like, close your eyes and picture someone you care for very much. Notice how you feel. Now, direct those feelings toward yourself – that’s self-love!
What self-love is not:
- A destination
- Dependent on what others think of you
What self-love is:
- A lifelong process
- Important for everyone
- Part of mental wellness
- Maintained with action and effort
How do I know that my self-love needs some attention?
- Feeling depleted
- Experiencing mental or physical tension
- Overall decline in mental health
- Frequent self-critical thoughts
- A tendency to make self-defeating statements
Self-love takes time, care, and continual practice. Don’t worry if it feels like there’s a lot of work to do. With one step at a time, you’ve got this.
Check out The Mental Health Coalition’s Resource Library for additional information related to cultivating mental wellness or visit: http://thementalhealthcoalition.org/resources/.